Ask HN: Should we still learn coding?
Paul Graham talked about this in a recent essay: "Should students still study computer science if AIs will write most code? ... even if you have AIs writing all your code for you, you're still in the position of an engineering manager, and good engineering managers should be able to do the work of those working for them." Paul Graham. August 2026 https://ift.tt/kbB7gJ4 I think that argument makes a lot of sense and coincides with my experience. I code all my projects, and I only use AI as a teacher, or bug finder. Again and again I see AI giving me a complicated, confusing code for something that could be much simpler, cleaner and organized. If I let AI write code I do not completely understand, sooner than later it all becomes a great mess that not even that AI can understand. Still there are a lot of people who say that learning to code is not necessary. What do you think - Should we learn to code? - If you already know how to code, do you keep learning? - What are your experiences? 2 comments on Hacker News.
Paul Graham talked about this in a recent essay: "Should students still study computer science if AIs will write most code? ... even if you have AIs writing all your code for you, you're still in the position of an engineering manager, and good engineering managers should be able to do the work of those working for them." Paul Graham. August 2026 https://ift.tt/kbB7gJ4 I think that argument makes a lot of sense and coincides with my experience. I code all my projects, and I only use AI as a teacher, or bug finder. Again and again I see AI giving me a complicated, confusing code for something that could be much simpler, cleaner and organized. If I let AI write code I do not completely understand, sooner than later it all becomes a great mess that not even that AI can understand. Still there are a lot of people who say that learning to code is not necessary. What do you think - Should we learn to code? - If you already know how to code, do you keep learning? - What are your experiences?
Paul Graham talked about this in a recent essay: "Should students still study computer science if AIs will write most code? ... even if you have AIs writing all your code for you, you're still in the position of an engineering manager, and good engineering managers should be able to do the work of those working for them." Paul Graham. August 2026 https://ift.tt/kbB7gJ4 I think that argument makes a lot of sense and coincides with my experience. I code all my projects, and I only use AI as a teacher, or bug finder. Again and again I see AI giving me a complicated, confusing code for something that could be much simpler, cleaner and organized. If I let AI write code I do not completely understand, sooner than later it all becomes a great mess that not even that AI can understand. Still there are a lot of people who say that learning to code is not necessary. What do you think - Should we learn to code? - If you already know how to code, do you keep learning? - What are your experiences? 2 comments on Hacker News.
Paul Graham talked about this in a recent essay: "Should students still study computer science if AIs will write most code? ... even if you have AIs writing all your code for you, you're still in the position of an engineering manager, and good engineering managers should be able to do the work of those working for them." Paul Graham. August 2026 https://ift.tt/kbB7gJ4 I think that argument makes a lot of sense and coincides with my experience. I code all my projects, and I only use AI as a teacher, or bug finder. Again and again I see AI giving me a complicated, confusing code for something that could be much simpler, cleaner and organized. If I let AI write code I do not completely understand, sooner than later it all becomes a great mess that not even that AI can understand. Still there are a lot of people who say that learning to code is not necessary. What do you think - Should we learn to code? - If you already know how to code, do you keep learning? - What are your experiences?
Hacker News story: Ask HN: Should we still learn coding?
Reviewed by Tha Kur
on
September 22, 2026
Rating:
No comments: