Ask HN: What default model do you use and why?
I use claude for most of what I do, and Fable is largely overkill for me and frequently burns through my Max plan's session credits in minutes (!) when just doing an initial mobile app planning with 4 agents. After I waited out the timeout period 6 hours later, and I picked up again, the cache had timed out so it burned through 2% of the session in less than a minute. Opus 4.8 is now my goto and I will be avoiding 5 until I see a reason to switch back. 4.8 is 'good enough' for what I need and has been a great value. It mostly gets things right. Most of what I do is web and mobile , largely cloud backend. 4 comments on Hacker News.
I use claude for most of what I do, and Fable is largely overkill for me and frequently burns through my Max plan's session credits in minutes (!) when just doing an initial mobile app planning with 4 agents. After I waited out the timeout period 6 hours later, and I picked up again, the cache had timed out so it burned through 2% of the session in less than a minute. Opus 4.8 is now my goto and I will be avoiding 5 until I see a reason to switch back. 4.8 is 'good enough' for what I need and has been a great value. It mostly gets things right. Most of what I do is web and mobile , largely cloud backend.
I use claude for most of what I do, and Fable is largely overkill for me and frequently burns through my Max plan's session credits in minutes (!) when just doing an initial mobile app planning with 4 agents. After I waited out the timeout period 6 hours later, and I picked up again, the cache had timed out so it burned through 2% of the session in less than a minute. Opus 4.8 is now my goto and I will be avoiding 5 until I see a reason to switch back. 4.8 is 'good enough' for what I need and has been a great value. It mostly gets things right. Most of what I do is web and mobile , largely cloud backend. 4 comments on Hacker News.
I use claude for most of what I do, and Fable is largely overkill for me and frequently burns through my Max plan's session credits in minutes (!) when just doing an initial mobile app planning with 4 agents. After I waited out the timeout period 6 hours later, and I picked up again, the cache had timed out so it burned through 2% of the session in less than a minute. Opus 4.8 is now my goto and I will be avoiding 5 until I see a reason to switch back. 4.8 is 'good enough' for what I need and has been a great value. It mostly gets things right. Most of what I do is web and mobile , largely cloud backend.
Hacker News story: Ask HN: What default model do you use and why?
Reviewed by Tha Kur
on
September 12, 2026
Rating:
No comments: