Hacker News story: 40 years of writing code. I didn't see the end coming

40 years of writing code. I didn't see the end coming
So I started programming when 'the cloud' was something about the weather and code was shipped on floppy disks. For over 4 decades I've loved writing every line of code. But now, AI writes most of the code. The advantages of course are many, not the least of which is that I'm able to build and maintain multiple products at once. But instead of coding, I've turned into a full time reviewer instead. Spending the day reading, questioning and correcting AI is tiring in it's own specific way. Worst of all, I no longer enjoy the satisfaction of solving hard problems on my own anymore. For those of you in the same boat, what's your feeling? Has AI given you back your time? Or has it taken something away that you loved? 7 comments on Hacker News.
So I started programming when 'the cloud' was something about the weather and code was shipped on floppy disks. For over 4 decades I've loved writing every line of code. But now, AI writes most of the code. The advantages of course are many, not the least of which is that I'm able to build and maintain multiple products at once. But instead of coding, I've turned into a full time reviewer instead. Spending the day reading, questioning and correcting AI is tiring in it's own specific way. Worst of all, I no longer enjoy the satisfaction of solving hard problems on my own anymore. For those of you in the same boat, what's your feeling? Has AI given you back your time? Or has it taken something away that you loved?

Hacker News story: 40 years of writing code. I didn't see the end coming Hacker News story: 40 years of writing code. I didn't see the end coming Reviewed by Tha Kur on October 01, 2026 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.