Ask HN: How would you go about domain change and getting a job in the domain?
I have a couple of years of experience with full-stack development (JS/TS, PY), and I always wanted to jump deep into how databases work and built. With LLMs as a teacher, I have been making a steady progress into how systems work and how databases work. I am also gaining experience with C++ and Rust. (I can't just code from memory yet, have to refer to Google for the syntax and then LLMs to know a better way of doing the same). Now, coming to switching domains, I am not sure how to go about applying to DB companies. Would it be weird to apply for an internship, I am as good as a recent graduate when it comes to systems programming? Or, are there better ways to go about making this happen? How would you go about - domain change + getting a job in the domain? (for me the domain is database development, but I am open to reading suggestions from anyone that has changed domains in the recent times, given, with the LLMs having experience becomes more important). 2 comments on Hacker News.
I have a couple of years of experience with full-stack development (JS/TS, PY), and I always wanted to jump deep into how databases work and built. With LLMs as a teacher, I have been making a steady progress into how systems work and how databases work. I am also gaining experience with C++ and Rust. (I can't just code from memory yet, have to refer to Google for the syntax and then LLMs to know a better way of doing the same). Now, coming to switching domains, I am not sure how to go about applying to DB companies. Would it be weird to apply for an internship, I am as good as a recent graduate when it comes to systems programming? Or, are there better ways to go about making this happen? How would you go about - domain change + getting a job in the domain? (for me the domain is database development, but I am open to reading suggestions from anyone that has changed domains in the recent times, given, with the LLMs having experience becomes more important).
I have a couple of years of experience with full-stack development (JS/TS, PY), and I always wanted to jump deep into how databases work and built. With LLMs as a teacher, I have been making a steady progress into how systems work and how databases work. I am also gaining experience with C++ and Rust. (I can't just code from memory yet, have to refer to Google for the syntax and then LLMs to know a better way of doing the same). Now, coming to switching domains, I am not sure how to go about applying to DB companies. Would it be weird to apply for an internship, I am as good as a recent graduate when it comes to systems programming? Or, are there better ways to go about making this happen? How would you go about - domain change + getting a job in the domain? (for me the domain is database development, but I am open to reading suggestions from anyone that has changed domains in the recent times, given, with the LLMs having experience becomes more important). 2 comments on Hacker News.
I have a couple of years of experience with full-stack development (JS/TS, PY), and I always wanted to jump deep into how databases work and built. With LLMs as a teacher, I have been making a steady progress into how systems work and how databases work. I am also gaining experience with C++ and Rust. (I can't just code from memory yet, have to refer to Google for the syntax and then LLMs to know a better way of doing the same). Now, coming to switching domains, I am not sure how to go about applying to DB companies. Would it be weird to apply for an internship, I am as good as a recent graduate when it comes to systems programming? Or, are there better ways to go about making this happen? How would you go about - domain change + getting a job in the domain? (for me the domain is database development, but I am open to reading suggestions from anyone that has changed domains in the recent times, given, with the LLMs having experience becomes more important).
Hacker News story: Ask HN: How would you go about domain change and getting a job in the domain?
Reviewed by Tha Kur
on
October 11, 2026
Rating:
No comments: